The dust bunnies in the corners are starting to stare back at you, and you need to take a running jump onto your bed to make it over the mountain of dirty clothes.
You forget what color the floor in the kitchen was originally under all of the dirt, and you have gotten into the habit of eating dinner straight out of the pan because all of the plates have caked on grime.
You know that you need to clean the house, but you never get to the task because cleaning is so boring!
Cleaning the house is certainly not as exciting as horseback riding down the beach, skydiving, or going to a music festival, but it doesn’t have to be the most un-enjoyable thing in the world either.
If you can make cleaning a bit more fun and entertaining, perhaps you won’t put it off for so long?
Also, if you are having fun when cleaning you will work quicker and be less distracted, so that your house will be sparkling clean sooner and you can get on with the more exciting things in life.
Here are some tips for spicing up your cleaning routine:
- Set up an open garbage can or recycling bin across the room as a basketball hoop, and see how many scraps of junk mail, food wrappers, and other junk you can toss into can without missing. Try to break your own record!
- Break the task into small jobs and reward yourself after you finish each one. For example, if you wash all of the dishes on the kitchen counter you can enjoy a chocolate, or if you organize your entire closet you can go out to a movie.
- Try to beat the clock! Give yourself a deadline for finishing each task and try to get through it as efficiently as you can. The faster and more focused you are, the sooner you are finished and the more free time you have.
- Try a new cleaning product. For example, did you know that there are cleaning slippers with scrubbers on the bottom for washing the floor with your feet? These sorts of unusual and quirky cleaning implements will turn your household chores into a fun game.
- Crank up your favorite tunes and do a little dance as you clean. It will put you in a happy and productive mood.
Make cleaning more fun, and before you know it your home will look fantastic!
That wasn’t so bad, was it?